How to be coachable?

Go down

How to be coachable?

Post  CankleBreaker on Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:37 am

Hey fam, with my new job I've had some difficulty adapting and being successful with my new role. I'm in an entirely new field from my previous job so I'm learning everything from the ground up as I go. I had a meeting w/ my boss today that gave me a reality check. He mentioned to me that I need to change my mindset and attitude and ability to be "coachable" in order to be successful and survive in this industry. I always thought I was a coachable person who adapted well and picked up on things quickly. I ask for help and questions to things I don't know (which is practically everything at the moment) but I guess I had a different idea of what it meant to be coachable and what it means to be successful. Does anyone have any advice that I may put to use to improve myself? Anything would be appreciated.
CankleBreaker
CAD Animal Mother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How to be coachable?

Post  Colossus of Destiny on Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:26 am

CankleBreaker wrote:Hey fam, with my new job I've had some difficulty adapting and being successful with my new role. I'm in an entirely new field from my previous job so I'm learning everything from the ground up as I go. I had a meeting w/ my boss today that gave me a reality check. He mentioned to me that I need to change my mindset and attitude and ability to be "coachable" in order to be successful and survive in this industry. I always thought I was a coachable person who adapted well and picked up on things quickly. I ask for help and questions to things I don't know (which is practically everything at the moment) but I guess I had a different idea of what it meant to be coachable and what it means to be successful. Does anyone have any advice that I may put to use to improve myself? Anything would be appreciated.

Bosses love to say vague shit like that when they don't have any specific complaints anout the things you're doing. Maybe he just wants you to kiss ass more often. confused I don't know. Good luck, though.
Colossus of Destiny
CAD Animal Mother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  unlucky_charm13 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:42 am

I studied business throughout college, and had worked in a few different industries prior becoming self employed. Of course I don't know you personally, but from what you've said, it seems like you are open and willing to learn in your current situation. You can't really become more coachable (in my opinion) if you are already there and willing to learn. This is of course dependent on your ability to adapt. Now, again, it would seem to me that you are an ideal person from how you've described everything.

I'm gathering that I'm just going to keep rambling and probably not be too much help. Lol/sorry

I will however say that from being in positions ranging from ground level to upper management that not every company is structured or functions properly. Many don't in fact, a sad truth. I'm not sure if this is a place that you see yourself staying long term. That to me is an important factor regarding what you do next. I would continue to do your best to be "coachable" and open to the environment and skills required to be successful. Take note of the people above you, and honestly how the place makes you feel/if it's somewhere you plan to stay. Because if it's not worth it to you, it may not be worth the frustration. Obviously there aren't jobs growing on trees, so plan ahead.

Final thought: I haven't come across too many people outside of sports that use the word coachable and aren't douchebags. That sounds like something used poorly in large company training programs, or by some mid level guy who wants to be a company man and is misusing the how to be successful books he has.

If I can ever offer you advice on anything specific, feel free to message me, hopefully i can help in some way.
unlucky_charm13
CAD Born Again Hard

View user profile http://www.nolovecity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  chiprender on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:30 pm

Couple books come to mind:
The Go-Getter, Peter Kyne
Rhinoceros Success, Scott Alexander
and
Quitter, John Acuff
chiprender
CAD Too Buku

View user profile http://www.chipthompson.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CankleBreaker on Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:33 pm

Thanks for the infos. I work for an agent at State Farm, so its a small personal business. When I was going to apply at New York Life they too said that candidates had to be "coachable" so maybe its something within the industry of insurance and financial services? My boss is actually very successful and a great mentor and thats why I decided to go with him instead of NYL. He treats our relationship as a partnership rather than I'm working for him. Hes put a lot of faith in me and just wants me to success as well.
CankleBreaker
CAD Animal Mother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum