Ⓧ SQUADT EXHIBITION SYSTEM - final essence

Go down

Ⓧ SQUADT EXHIBITION SYSTEM - final essence

Post  the-Magpie on Fri May 18, 2018 10:05 pm

Hey Mates,

after the recovering from the hard reality Ferg isn´t focussing on the Project Squadt any more I was re-sharpening my collection.
With the knowledge that no new Squadts will pop up on the horizone I decided doing some Customs of never seen before refinement-versions and select a essence of my collection for presentation.
[Last point was also strongly influenced by my girlfriend telling me that they have to be finally bundled cause they invaded everything... home, agency, bathroom, laboratory, sleeping room, kitchen, car...   ]

So easy to say but the challenge was how to present this essence.
I had several ideas in mind thinking of an old medicine cabinet, vintage display cases from 1900 or a do it yourself exhibition system.
After some time I came to the conclusion to rearrange a selection of my 20 most favorite Squadts in a gallery-style light wall exhibition display.
This gave me the possiblity to spot them in different moody atmospheres and to cover them once and for all from dust and sunlight.
8 Month passed from this point and I planed, organised, ordered a bunch of material, messured, sawn, drilled, glued and wasted a lot of money to stage my selection in the best possible way.

Today I am more than happy and proud to show you the result of countless long night shifts.
Here comes my Crème de la Crème.
CAD 4 life guys!

Last edited by the-Magpie on Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
the-Magpie
CAD Special Forces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ⓧ SQUADT EXHIBITION SYSTEM - final essence

Post  Teimaru on Fri May 18, 2018 10:44 pm

wow this looks so awesome.
Had a similar idea, but on an entire wall, to display all mines. But not for now. Later on I will try to do something in this idea, not necessary in this form, but in this spirit of wall display.
One more time, pretty fucking awesome !!!
Teimaru
CAD Animal Mother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  patrick40 on Sat May 19, 2018 11:36 pm

Wow!
This is amazing! What a awesome job you did there bow bow bow
patrick40
COLLECTOR-DESTOYER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Reks36 on Sun May 20, 2018 2:07 am

Love it, brother! What a great tribute. clap
Reks36
CAD Too Buku

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  InebriatedGnome on Sun May 20, 2018 4:23 am

Bloody incredible.
InebriatedGnome
CAD Born Again Hard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  the-Magpie on Sun May 20, 2018 4:42 am

Thank you Fred, Pat, Max and I.Gnome.
First I wasn't sure to post this project at all but your kind words convinced me it was the right decision.
cheers

Teimaru wrote:Had a similar idea, but on an entire wall, to display all mines. But not for now. Later on I will try to do something in this idea, not necessary in this form, but in this spirit of wall display.

If you are planing something similar I may gather some process pictures and post background informations. Wasn't that easy to find suitable material and processing them with the right tools. So let me know and I will check what I find to post it here.
the-Magpie
CAD Special Forces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  eldoobya on Mon May 21, 2018 12:35 am

I logged in just to post that I love the idea!!! Looks very sophisticated! Lovely home, too! clap clap clap
eldoobya
CAD Too Buku

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon May 21, 2018 2:07 am

What a Face clap
Admin
FERG

View user profile http://www.jamungo.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Silver on Mon May 21, 2018 1:07 pm

top top!!

S pirat
Silver
CAD Born Again Hard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CankleBreaker on Wed May 23, 2018 4:19 am

Wow, that is one hell of a display. Great execution! bow
CankleBreaker
CAD Animal Mother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  slinky42 on Wed May 23, 2018 5:33 am

Dope set up Magpie!clap Not sure if anyone is interested but I am, can you give some close ups of the doc with the mohawk?
slinky42
CAD Born Again Hard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CankleBreaker on Fri May 25, 2018 12:27 am

Just noticed how theres a rocking chair right in front for viewing pleasure. Razz
CankleBreaker
CAD Animal Mother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  the-Magpie on Mon May 28, 2018 1:43 pm

Thanks a lot guys. It´s a pleasure and a honor for me.

@ Charlie: Eagle eye! Sometimes I sit there after a hard day sipping on a gin tonic enjoying the tranquility.

@ Slinky: Great that you has noticed the green acid doc [bounty hunter].  bounce
He´s waiting for his last detail then it will be a pleasure to do some close ups for the customs topic.
Will shot you a PM with the current state.

@ Fred and others planning a display case out of acrylic glas:

Thanks for your PM mate. I gathered some process pictures from my GFs photo archives and will try to explain my process step by step.
If I should miss something or you have some questions about don´t hesitate to ask or shot me a PM.

1. Vision and Selection

Back in fall 2017 the vision of a gallery exhibition system for my squadts became clear.
First I tried several arrengements in the digital way to create „families“ and a grid.
Thought it would be easier to make a composition but if you are fixed on a 5x5 or 4x5 or 6x5 or what ever grid it´s really a pain in the ass to sort them for the best possible visual impact.
Finally I decided to reduce my collection presentation to 20 Squadts and 4 „families“ based on type and color scheme.

2. Material and Preperation

Next challange was to find suitable materials and the right tools for preperation.
I knew I wanted a installation working with a passive light effect. I was thinking of spots  or uplights but nothing worked the way to satisfy my needs.
Then I had the idea to work with acrylic glas. Not only for the single cases also for the mounting plate. Then a long odyseey began...
I never thought that it will be that complicted to find a both sides satined 150 cm x 150 cm plate for a reasonable price. For 3 Month I checked 8 construction markets in the area, phoned several acrylic glas companies in germany and invited some offers... after this I came to the conclusion that I have to invest much more than I suspected first.
In April 2018 I finally got my 12 kg satined plate to start the next steps.

Focusing on the passive lighting I decided to work with LED stripes as a backlight.
Therefore it was neccassery to create a background construction in form of a wooden frame.
I made this frame a bit smaller than the plate so you can not see it directly. It meassured 144 cm x 144 cm and was 3 cm high.
This gave me enough space to cover the LED stripes and enough room to light up the whole squadt selection without interruptions.

After this the frame needed to be painted white for best reflection and harmony.

Next problem was finding a suitable LED stripe. 5 meters and 48 cm was the inner length of the system. But all LED stripes I found had only 3, 5 or 10 meters.
Another problem was the distance between the LEDs, the Power and the LED color. I prefered a neutral white (4.000 Kelvin) with a minimum of distance between each one and a really strong glow (21 W+).
Again I began to search in several construction and electronic makets. End of the game was to combine 2 X 5 Meters Stripes with the right performance and criterias... bad thing about this was the price I had to pay.

After receiving the stripes I realised that the single LEDs can be seen through the satined acryl glas plate. So again construction market seaking for a white L-profile to cover the LED stipes in the front view.

3. Drilling and Mounting

Now all materials together but the suitable tools are missing.
How to mount the clear acrylic boxes? Glue? Drilling? hmm.. and how to open them again when I decide to glue them on the satined plate?
So the best way was to hang them. So arroung 60 holes have to be drilled... in a 5mm strong acrylic glas plate. Without a single crack cause it´s backlighted.  Shocked

Besides mounting glue and a tone of other details I needed screws to mount the squadt boxes on the plate.
Problem is that regular metal screws are useless in this system, cause the extension of the arcylic glas and the metal is different so the risk of cracking is very high.
Puhh!! This was really hard to find. I wanted transparent arcylic socket had cap screws. Searching this was almost as hard as finding a orange doc!
Finally I discovered a japanese company offering exacly what I was looking for.

Next thing was to find special drills for acrylic glas. The guys in the construcion markets had no idea. Was visiting 3 different markets and received 3 different answers.
Finally I asked a carpenter a bit experienced with this material and he suggested to buy 3 different drills.

1st one (drilling 58 holes with): A wood drill M4
2nd one (drilling 58 holes with): A (blunted) metal drill M4.2
3rd one (drilling 58 holes with): A metal thread cutter M5

To avoid the risk of cracks a piece of wood under your plate and a acrylic template above is needed. So I meassured all the wholes and made some markes... then I started to drill 174 times!
Believe me I was such concentrated and felt like running a marathon afterwards.

After this act the tension hit the peek.
I had to uncover the plate and remove the protection foil on both sides.
Funny Detail was the static charge you can see it on my hairs.  Laughing
Result 174 holes. Not a single crack. Time for a drink.

Last but not least I had to mount the whole system on the wall.
In this phase I recognized that I need transparent spacers to create a distance between the construction frame and the satinised plate.
This allowes the light to float more natural without creating a hard break in the area of the construction frame.
So again a construction stop. I found a set of 100 x 2mm spacers on ebay, reached the local screw special shop for the frame/plate mounting screws and could finally finish the project by placing the squadts in boxes and arranging them on the system.

So I hope this gave a good insight in my process and helps others to push visions forward.
Hook me up if you need further informations about, glad to help.
the-Magpie
CAD Special Forces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mazdevilz on Tue May 29, 2018 9:15 pm

Wow this is awesome! great display. clap clap
mazdevilz
CAD Animal Mother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CankleBreaker on Tue May 29, 2018 10:50 pm

Wow, what an extensive project, all the more impressive. Thanks for the walk-thru, always love seeing behind the scenes and design thinking processes. If I'm reading/seeing this correctly, the clear screws attach the acrylic boxes to the frame you created and the acrylic boxes themselves have an opening where you can slide/remove the panel to put the figures inside?
Must've been nerve-wrecking drilling those holes! ahhhh! you definitely deserve a drink after that project! chug

If you don't mind me asking, how much was spent on all of the supplies and how many hours did it take?
CankleBreaker
CAD Animal Mother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Reks36 on Wed May 30, 2018 1:42 am

Impressive my friend, Very detailed. I think my favorite part of it all as stupid as it sounds is seeing you! I like seeing the true faces of this small community.
Reks36
CAD Too Buku

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  the-Magpie on Wed May 30, 2018 1:28 pm

CankleBreaker wrote:If I'm reading/seeing this correctly, the clear screws attach the acrylic boxes to the frame you created and the acrylic boxes themselves have an opening where you can slide/remove the panel to put the figures inside?

Yes that´s right. The socket head points into the backside of acrylic boxes. So it´s possible to hang them and mix the order. The frontplate of each box can be slided up therefore it is possible to open the box and release the squadts!

CankleBreaker wrote:Must've been nerve-wrecking drilling those holes! ahhhh! you definitely deserve a drink after that project! chug

Thanks mate. drunken

CankleBreaker wrote:If you don't mind me asking, how much was spent on all of the supplies and how many hours did it take?

hmm.. Good question. All in all I invested round 750 - 800 € (900 - 950 $).
Never counted the working time. Very time consuming was to find the suitable materials and details as well as invitations for offers.
Finall assembly and refinement time wasn´t that much guess 20 - 25 hours splitted to 3 weeks.

Reks36 wrote:Impressive my friend, Very detailed. I think my favorite part of it all as stupid as it sounds is seeing you! I like seeing the true faces of this small community.

Thanks a lot Max. If I had knewn this earlier I had put on some make up. Wink
But all jokes aside I share your interest. Maybe a good idea for a CAD-photocontest „Squadts and their hosts“.
What do you think?
the-Magpie
CAD Special Forces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CankleBreaker on Thu May 31, 2018 1:20 am

Man, that was a true labor of love. So much time and resources invested, can't say it enough how perfect it came out.

I agree with Reks, always cool to see the person behind the screen/scene! For those who don't already follow me, ya'll can see me on my IG: canklebreaker
CankleBreaker
CAD Animal Mother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Reks36 on Thu May 31, 2018 4:07 am

Laughing Laughing Laughing I'm down.
Reks36
CAD Too Buku

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jorester on Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:17 am

Wow , your work is awesome . clap clap
jorester
Quickly the Exits!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dedicatedart on Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:34 pm

Amazing... speechlesss display!
Did you make the boxes for the squadts or bug those?
dedicatedart
CAD Animal Mother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cripery on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:39 pm

Not been on for a good while - but just had to log in to comment on this fantastic project! - really great work Liv! clap cyclops That display looks amazing. Kudos for all your hardwork & dedication.
cripery
CAD Too Buku

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Glennspot on Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:24 pm

Simply superb. Wouldn't have expected anything less from you Magpie! Really have showcased your squadts to perfection- even Ferg agrees- big praise indeed :-)
Glennspot
Trench Warmer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stush on Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:43 am

WOW!!! Love it!!! Amazing!!! Thanks for sharing the photos and the info on how you built it. It's an inspiration. Beautiful stuff!
Stush
CAD Too Buku

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down