Music Thread

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Music Thread

Post  colbert on Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:26 pm

Listening to some Kings of Leon lately. i know they ain't new, but they are relatively new to me. Anyone got any recommendations for them or something similar?

I usually stick to classics, but I listen to alt nation and faction a lot when i'm in the truck
avatar
colbert
ATV 'expert'

Posts : 1271
Join date : 2009-02-26
Location : Santonio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Music Thread

Post  jorester on Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:58 pm

today I received the last KMFDM; blitz
I am listening to it;
very good

Cool
avatar
jorester
Quickly the Exits!

Posts : 4132
Join date : 2008-11-06
Age : 45
Location : france

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Music Thread

Post  EL PADRINO on Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:02 pm

i work in the music industry, specifically within the genre of rap music. i used to work for guitar world and revolver magazines years ago, so i have been getting back into the rock thing lately. im a big fan of classic rock, (zeppelin zappa black sabbath), used to love heavy metal (early metallica, anthrax etc) even mess with some alt bands like bad religion, suicidal tendencies, nofx, bad brains, all, etc. But since rap now sucks a big one, i get pretty bored with music these days. my friend was stationed in hawaii in the navy for 6 years, and he kept telling me about jack johnson. even though dude is all up in an iphone commercial i like him. hes pretty mellow and chilled out. i like that these days, guess im finally getting old.
avatar
EL PADRINO
CAD Animal Mother

Posts : 1516
Join date : 2008-07-06
Location : NYC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Music Thread

Post  Mendez on Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:13 pm

jorester wrote:today I received the last KMFDM; blitz
I am listening to it;
very good

Cool

If you like industrial and electro, check out some of my older mixes:

Mendez - Mass promo mix

Mendez - November 2006
avatar
Mendez
COLLECTOR-DESTOYER

Posts : 2536
Join date : 2008-08-05
Age : 45
Location : EARTH

View user profile http://soundcloud.com/iowatest

Back to top Go down

Re: Music Thread

Post  Mendez on Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:15 pm

Also go to www.evilbase.com , images link to my myspace music pages. I have a few bands/projects (iowatest, thorns, bad taste, etc..)
avatar
Mendez
COLLECTOR-DESTOYER

Posts : 2536
Join date : 2008-08-05
Age : 45
Location : EARTH

View user profile http://soundcloud.com/iowatest

Back to top Go down

Re: Music Thread

Post  whacko on Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:06 pm

Got tired of Kiings of Leon pretty quick.
After a while the whininess of the lead singer's voice just get to the point where it can't be ignored.

I have been listening to a lot of older stuff lately.
Thre Days Grace
Days of the New
Throttlerod
Soundgarden
Silverchair
Pearl Jam
etc, etc.


Also in rotation at any given time are Flobots, Linkin Park, Poison the Well, Counting Crows, Tangerine Dream (old old), Optimus Rhyme, Foo Fighters and whatever else fits what mood I am in.

For the most part I try to stay away from the super-over-processed stuff most pop bands dish out these days. I like strong voices not synthesizers.
avatar
whacko
COLLECTOR-DESTOYER

Posts : 2994
Join date : 2008-07-13
Age : 37
Location : MA USA

View user profile http://jdecelles.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Music Thread

Post  ontheDL on Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:17 am

Yeah that voice makes me cringe o_O

I'm a big fan of Umphrey's McGee. Super talented and they put on quite a show. My other faves are 311(not so much of the newer stuff), Beck, G. Love, Slightly Stoopid, Jack Johnson. Basically relaxing stoner shit. I used to be a huge metalhead though... Pantera, Metallica, all that good stuff. I saw White Zombie WAY back in the day. Fuckin awesome. Still listen to that stuff occasionally. New Slipknot is good when I'm angry Twisted Evil The first Silerchair album is awesome, whacko. Can you believe they were only 15 and 16 when they wrote that shit?!

Not really a fan of electronic or anything like that. I do like Bassnectar though... And I think you might like the J. Davis trio, El P. Most awesomest, chillin music ever. Dude rhymes and plays a xylophone. Trust me, it's awesome. I'll hook you up with a couple cd's if you want - http://www.jdavistrio.com/
avatar
ontheDL
c0113c70r_D3$7r0y3r

Posts : 4624
Join date : 2008-07-05
Age : 33
Location : Vegas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Music Thread

Post  Mendez on Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:23 am

as far as what I listen to :

Interpol
Cursive
Thursday
Joy Division
She Wants Revenge
Bloc Party
Foals
The Smiths
Cure
NIN
The Presets
The Good Life
Kraftwerk
80s
avatar
Mendez
COLLECTOR-DESTOYER

Posts : 2536
Join date : 2008-08-05
Age : 45
Location : EARTH

View user profile http://soundcloud.com/iowatest

Back to top Go down

Re: Music Thread

Post  Assburrito! on Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:52 am

Lately.....

Work truck: CD"s
Motorhead, Slayer, Showcase Showdown, Dr. Octagon, Capitalist Casualties, and Slick Rick.

At Home: Vinyl
Dead Silent, Man or Astroman, Damad, Talk is Poison, Nar, Mummies, Von Zippers, Penetration, and Devil Dogs.
avatar
Assburrito!
CAD Too Buku

Posts : 1221
Join date : 2008-07-05
Age : 41
Location : OKC, OK

View user profile http://www.flickr.com/photos/joerosedesign

Back to top Go down

Re: Music Thread

Post  EL PADRINO on Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:06 am

man or astroman Twisted Evil
avatar
EL PADRINO
CAD Animal Mother

Posts : 1516
Join date : 2008-07-06
Location : NYC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Music Thread

Post  Assburrito! on Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:11 am

EL PADRINO wrote:man or astroman Twisted Evil

I miss that band. Their live shows were always a hell of a good time!
avatar
Assburrito!
CAD Too Buku

Posts : 1221
Join date : 2008-07-05
Age : 41
Location : OKC, OK

View user profile http://www.flickr.com/photos/joerosedesign

Back to top Go down

Re: Music Thread

Post  EL PADRINO on Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:13 am

yes i saw them a few times in nyc, great f'n show! they had awesome artwork too!
avatar
EL PADRINO
CAD Animal Mother

Posts : 1516
Join date : 2008-07-06
Location : NYC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Music Thread

Post  Assburrito! on Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:19 am

EL PADRINO wrote:yes i saw them a few times in nyc, great f'n show! they had awesome artwork too!

The artwork was really cool. I have a bunch of their records (Lp's, 10", and tons of 7's) They rarely dissappointed me. The best is the 7" that has a pop out flying saucer!
avatar
Assburrito!
CAD Too Buku

Posts : 1221
Join date : 2008-07-05
Age : 41
Location : OKC, OK

View user profile http://www.flickr.com/photos/joerosedesign

Back to top Go down

Re: Music Thread

Post  whacko on Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:09 am

ontheDL wrote:
... My other faves are 311(not so much of the newer stuff), Beck, G. Love, Slightly Stoopid, Jack Johnson. Basically relaxing stoner shit...

If you like the "relaxing stoner shit" check out Ben Taylor. He has a very soothing voice, even smoother than his father (James Taylor) and all of his songs are relaxing with nice tempo. One of my favorite songs is Nothing I can Do (3rd Player down).
avatar
whacko
COLLECTOR-DESTOYER

Posts : 2994
Join date : 2008-07-13
Age : 37
Location : MA USA

View user profile http://jdecelles.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Music Thread

Post  DannyCassette on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:40 am

Mendez wrote:as far as what I listen to :

Interpol
Cursive
Thursday
Joy Division
She Wants Revenge
Bloc Party
Foals
The Smiths
Cure
NIN
The Presets
The Good Life
Kraftwerk
80s

Im gonna say so far Mendez has better taste in music. Good job buddy.
avatar
DannyCassette
CAD Special Forces

Posts : 536
Join date : 2008-07-24
Age : 38
Location : Carrboro NC

View user profile http://www.minicassettetees.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Music Thread

Post  Mendez on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:48 am

DannyCassette wrote:
Mendez wrote:as far as what I listen to :

Interpol
Cursive
Thursday
Joy Division
She Wants Revenge
Bloc Party
Foals
The Smiths
Cure
NIN
The Presets
The Good Life
Kraftwerk
80s

Im gonna say so far Mendez has better taste in music. Good job buddy.

word, I knew you and I could probably hang. =)
avatar
Mendez
COLLECTOR-DESTOYER

Posts : 2536
Join date : 2008-08-05
Age : 45
Location : EARTH

View user profile http://soundcloud.com/iowatest

Back to top Go down

Re: Music Thread

Post  dreamattack27 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:49 am

DannyCassette wrote:
Mendez wrote:as far as what I listen to :

Interpol
Cursive
Thursday
Joy Division
She Wants Revenge
Bloc Party
Foals
The Smiths
Cure
NIN
The Presets
The Good Life
Kraftwerk
80s

Im gonna say so far Mendez has better taste in music. Good job buddy.

That's what I'm talkin about. Fucking love the Presets. Actually, the only band there I don't like is She Wants Revenge. Saw them open for Placebo a couple years ago, but they don't really do it for me. Haven't heard The Good Life, will check it out.

For me lately, I've been listening to:

MJ
Berlin
PSB
Big Drill Car
Samiam
Girl Talk
Imogen Heap
Chromeo
Cars
Passion Pit
Empire Of The Sun
Pnau
Cut Copy
Ladyhawke
Presets
Goldfrapp
Social Distortion
Hellacopters
Phoenix..
avatar
dreamattack27
c0113c70r_D3$7r0y3r

Posts : 3825
Join date : 2008-07-04
Age : 43
Location : Land Of Sunshine, SDCA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Music Thread

Post  Mendez on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:51 am

Chromeo is awesome. Picked up the new Tiga recently. Good stuff. Also a ton of Cut Copy remixes. The Good Life is a side project of Tim Kasher from Cursive. A bit twangy at times, but full of emotion.
avatar
Mendez
COLLECTOR-DESTOYER

Posts : 2536
Join date : 2008-08-05
Age : 45
Location : EARTH

View user profile http://soundcloud.com/iowatest

Back to top Go down

Re: Music Thread

Post  DannyCassette on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:54 am

Right now my playlist is bands:

Echo and The Bunnymen
Scott Walker
Dexter Romweber
Army Navy
Noisettes
Billy Idol
Tiger Army
The Ghroovie Ghoulies
Johnny Preston
The Pretenders

and more.
avatar
DannyCassette
CAD Special Forces

Posts : 536
Join date : 2008-07-24
Age : 38
Location : Carrboro NC

View user profile http://www.minicassettetees.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Music Thread

Post  dreamattack27 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:55 am

Right on, I'll check it out. Saw Chromeo in concert at Lollapalooza last year, they fuckin great. Still debating on whether to go this year, so many good bands but not sure I can swing it so soon after SDCC. TBD.
avatar
dreamattack27
c0113c70r_D3$7r0y3r

Posts : 3825
Join date : 2008-07-04
Age : 43
Location : Land Of Sunshine, SDCA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Music Thread

Post  Mendez on Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:00 am

DannyCassette wrote:Right now my playlist is bands:

Echo and The Bunnymen
Scott Walker
Dexter Romweber
Army Navy
Noisettes
Billy Idol
Tiger Army
The Ghroovie Ghoulies
Johnny Preston
The Pretenders

and more.

Man I dj an 80s weekly here in Phoenix. It's like going to Prom every week. Echo and the Bunnymen's the Cutter and Killing Moon are two my all time favorite tunes. I used to also play the best of Tears for Fears every Sunday morning followed by Radiohead's The Bends.
avatar
Mendez
COLLECTOR-DESTOYER

Posts : 2536
Join date : 2008-08-05
Age : 45
Location : EARTH

View user profile http://soundcloud.com/iowatest

Back to top Go down

Re: Music Thread

Post  dreamattack27 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:28 am

heh, I DJ on Friday nights at a bar/club here, and about 1:00 A.M. I sometimes switch over to 80's and the place goes apeshit when I finish it off with "Don't Stop Believin". And Tears For Fears are one of the most underrated bands ever. I love it all up until they got back together for that Beatles-esque atrocity a couple years back.

I also laugh everytime I hear "Sugar" by Flo Rida. I mean, seriously? You're sampling Echo and the Bunnymen? Does he even know who they are?
avatar
dreamattack27
c0113c70r_D3$7r0y3r

Posts : 3825
Join date : 2008-07-04
Age : 43
Location : Land Of Sunshine, SDCA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Music Thread

Post  Mendez on Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:31 am

dreamattack27 wrote:Tears For Fears are one of the most underrated bands ever. I love it all up until they got back together for that Beatles-esque atrocity a couple years back.

yeah man, The Hurting is one of the best LPs of that era. If you're up for trading some music, I've been djing since 1990, my roots are industrial/gothic/ebm/alternative. I got some ill remixes and whatnot.
avatar
Mendez
COLLECTOR-DESTOYER

Posts : 2536
Join date : 2008-08-05
Age : 45
Location : EARTH

View user profile http://soundcloud.com/iowatest

Back to top Go down

Re: Music Thread

Post  colbert on Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:40 pm

EL PADRINO wrote:i work in the music industry, specifically within the genre of rap music. i used to work for guitar world and revolver magazines years ago, so i have been getting back into the rock thing lately. im a big fan of classic rock, (zeppelin zappa black sabbath), used to love heavy metal (early metallica, anthrax etc) even mess with some alt bands like bad religion, suicidal tendencies, nofx, bad brains, all, etc. But since rap now sucks a big one, i get pretty bored with music these days. my friend was stationed in hawaii in the navy for 6 years, and he kept telling me about jack johnson. even though dude is all up in an iphone commercial i like him. hes pretty mellow and chilled out. i like that these days, guess im finally getting old.

first learned about jack johnson when he was playing with G. Love - Rodeo Clowns. I haven't heard too much J. Johnson, but what I've heard I've liked. I've got a G. Love mix that is in constant rotation.
avatar
colbert
ATV 'expert'

Posts : 1271
Join date : 2009-02-26
Location : Santonio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Music Thread

Post  colbert on Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:41 pm

whacko wrote:Got tired of Kiings of Leon pretty quick.
After a while the whininess of the lead singer's voice just get to the point where it can't be ignored.

I have been listening to a lot of older stuff lately.
Thre Days Grace
Days of the New
Throttlerod
Soundgarden
Silverchair
Pearl Jam
etc, etc.


Also in rotation at any given time are Flobots, Linkin Park, Poison the Well, Counting Crows, Tangerine Dream (old old), Optimus Rhyme, Foo Fighters and whatever else fits what mood I am in.

For the most part I try to stay away from the super-over-processed stuff most pop bands dish out these days. I like strong voices not synthesizers.

Is that Flobots any good? I've heard a couple they play on sirius and I like it so far.
avatar
colbert
ATV 'expert'

Posts : 1271
Join date : 2009-02-26
Location : Santonio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Music Thread

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum